Thursday, March 21, 2013

Photovoice Project

I am in an accelerated school counseling program.  So, my school counseling program is not only CACREP and focused on working in inner city schools, it is also 48 credits in thirteen months...  I think this is great because I am never allowed to forget anything from class to class, I never see my learning in a vacuum and as students, we bring our knowledge from one classroom to the next (which all students should do).  While the coursework can be daunting at times, I wouldn't change anything about the way my program is put together. This is exactly what I need-and I know other students who feel differently.  School Counseling programs are all about fit.

As I am completing my 600-hour internship at a Baltimore City high school, I am also in my "School Counseling Leadership and Consultation" course several hours a week.  One of our major cumulative projects in the course is something called a "Photovoice."  During the course of the semester, we, as students, are encouraged to share our cultural worldview and perspectives of leadership through a camera (or in my case an iPhone) lens.  The project is a qualitative, action research technique that allows us to photograph our perspective.  We then write short narrations about the photos to give context and periodically share what we are learning about ourselves and our leadership perspectives in class.  I attached a photo I took below...

Still learning Blogger...sorry about the lack of correct photo orientation.
My classmates and professor were a bit confused about my photo choice, especially because I am a pretty vocal vegetarian.  Then I read my narrative:

"The picture on this page is a McDonald's sign.  The story behind it really has nothing to do with the very successful restaurant chain; rather, I prefer to focus on an eye-opening conversation I recently had with a student at my internship site.
 I am a vegetarian.  I have been for almost a year and am comfortable with my choice.  I often bring salad to my internship for lunch.  A couple of weeks ago, I was helping a student complete her FAFSA. Over the course of three days, she came to the counseling office right after her lunch period, when I would be eating my own at my desk.  On the third day, she asked why I always eat salads, to which, I explained that I don't eat any meat.  Somewhat concerned, the student asked what I order when I go to McDonalds.  "I do not eat at McDonalds," I responded.
"Why not," she questioned.
"Well, I don't like the way I feel after eating there.  I mean, how do you feel after eating that food?" I responded.
"Full."
 I have no idea if the student knows what impact that short conversation made.  As a counseling leader, I am forced to constantly evaluate the way I speak about certain subjects so I do not reveal my own biases.  She also forced me to further consider my own privilege and choices.  I live in a world where I can afford to be concerned about nutritional content of the food I consume.  As I continue my leadership journey, I hope students continue to call me out and require me to evaluate myself as I hope to push them to do the same."

Ultimately, I will be required to string together all of the photos I take for a 10 page paper about my counselor-leadership development.  This photovoice project allows participants to really tell there story and would be beneficial while working with psychodynamic groups or to gain insight about an individual student's life.  If you want to read more check out PhotoVoice.org.  There you can find examples and a "how to guide."

No comments:

Post a Comment