Friday, March 22, 2013

I Wish I Were Spiderman.

For some reason, on multiple occasions, various students at the high school where I am completing my internship tell me that I look like Spiderman.  It happened first a couple of weeks ago.  As I walked past a group of students in the hallway who were speaking with the school's principle on my way to speak with a teacher, a student yelled out, "Hey, look! It's Spiderman."  I took another step as I realized they were talking about me.  And BAM!, I crouched down and posed with a "web-slinging" hand gesture that I learned through my various viewings of the "Spiderman" films.  Without a word, I stood up and kept walking to my original destination.  On my way back to the school counseling office, the group of students apologized for calling me Spiderman.  I used this opportunity to introduce myself as the new counseling intern and ensured them that I was not offended; rather, I was just playing.

No "Spidey-Senses" here.

Again, today as I walked a student back to their class after we had a short meeting, an entirely new group of students passed me in the hallway.  This time, a young female student said out loud as I passed, "There goes that guy that looks like Spiderman."  I thought I would spare them my impression since we had already passed each other.  For some reason, I feel like I should be flattered by the suggestion that I could be a superhero, but the fact is that sometimes I really wish I was a superhero.  Those special powers could really come in handy when advocating for students!

My counseling SUPERviser told me two weeks ago that stuff in the counseling office was about to get crazy.  I scoffed off the warning...If I only knew then what I know now.

Many scholarships are due during our students' spring break holiday.  When making a scholarship headquarters in our counseling office (including a binder full of local scholarship opportunities as well as direct scholarships from local political delegates) I failed to realize how much work it takes to ensure that I send off scholarships correctly.

Scholarship Headquarters: complete with a binder full of scholarship opportunities for all students.
My supervisor was not kidding, today was off the chain.  We had students applying for SATs, registering for classes, applying for scholarships, and stopping in to talk about other issues all at the same time all day.  While I cannot sling webs or climb up walls, I realized that I can keep kids organized... a very important skill!  I may not have "Spidey-Sense" but I do believe I possess the coveted "scholar-senses" which allow me to believe that each student has the opportunity to succeed.  Wrapping this up:  it was an overwhelming day but I am learning and realize that school counselors ARE superheros!

No comments:

Post a Comment